Arnad is located at an altitude of 340 metres in an area where the central valley widens, forming a small plain: this location is popular above all for the Lard d'Arnad, tasty and fragrant PDO cured meat, but those who decide to stay there will also have other welcome surprises.
Two castles and a fortified house, the bridge in Echallod, the Machaby sanctuary and the parish church of San Martino bear witness to its rich history, while the most interesting climbing walls in the region fullfil the tourist offer: a mix of good food, culture, sport and hospitality.
TO BE SEEN
● Parish Curch of San Martino, the most important example of Romanesque architecture in the Aosta Valley.
● Sanctuary of the Madonna delle Nevi: hidden by the chestnut trees in the Machaby valley, just 3 kilometers from the village centre, it has very ancient origins. On the outside square you can admire some soapstone statues.
● Vallaise Castle: now undergoing restoration, it is a rare example of a Baroque residence in the Aosta Valley.
NATURE AND SPORT
In Arnad you can do excursions of varying length and difficulty, but the sport for which this municipality is particularly suited is sport climbing: il Paretone e la Gruviera are full of “routes” at the disposal of all enthusiasts.
In the municipality there is also a pond where you can practice sport fishing, near which you can leave for a funny rafting tour along the Dora Baltea up to the Forte di Bard.
EVENTS AND TRADITIONS
● Lard d’Arnad DOP Festival: in the last weekend of August this festival has been organized for fifty years now to celebrate the typical cured meat of this location.
● Celebration of the Madonna delle Nevi at the Sanctuary of Machaby: on 5th August of each year the Shrine is opened to welcome the numerous pilgrims.
● La Veillà: an evening, organized every two years, in which the ancient crafts, traditions and flavors of Arnad are recalled.
FOR THE LITTLE ONES
For the little ones in Arnad there are two playgrounds: one in the hamlet of Arnad-Le-Vieux, behind the parish church, the other in the hamlet of Echallod Inferiore.
● Altitude: 340 m
● Inhabitants: 1200
● How to get there by public transport: you can reach Arnad from Pont-Saint-Martin or from Aosta by bus with the line “Pont-Saint-Martin - Aosta” by the Arriva company or with the bus "Carema - Montjovet" by the VITA Group company.
Note - this information is not directly connected to the Cammino Balteo path but it is part of the Aosta Valley tourist offer.