Parish Church of Sant'Ilario
Churches and shrines
The church dominates from an elevated position in the centre of town.
The parish of Gignod is mentioned in a Papal Bull by Alexander III from 1176. The current church appears to date no earlier than the XV century. Not only the architectural structure dates back to this period, but also certain precious frescoes discovered during restoration work in 1895. The bell-tower was built between 1481 and 1485 by a master mason in Gressoney, Yolli de Vuetto, who had just finished the bell-tower in the neighbouring village of Etroubles.
Worth noting, the fifteenth-century frescoes, including a deposition. A beautiful, stained glass window dating from the XVI century was originally located on the facade of the church, composed of the Lords of Avise’s crests of arms in a circle with four surrounding tondos depicting St. Ilario, the patron saint of the parish, St. Nicholas and St. Catherine. There is also an inscription that recalls the commissioners of the works, Stefano of Avise and his wife Pernette, who lived during the sixteenth century.