Castles and towers
The Balivi tower (or Tour du Baillage), situated in Via Guido Rey, on the north-western corner of the Roman boundary wall, was built in the Middle Ages on the structures of the pre-existing Roman tower.
In 1263 Guglielmo De Palatio sold the tower to the Count of Savoy, who turned it into the residence of the Balivi, the city’s administrators.
In 1537 the Administrators were transferred to a more suitable building and tower was refurbished and converted into law courts.
From 1702 it became a prison, which was only abandoned in recent times.
At present the building is seat of the school music Conservatoire de la Vallée d’Aoste.