Saint-Pierre is situated at an altitude of 731 metres on the orographic left of the Dora Baltea river, between apple orchards and vineyards, well exposed to the sun. The scenery is made fairy-tale by the castle which dominates the landscape from the top of its fortress and it is clearly visible even at night thanks to a suggestive lighting system. From Saint-Pierre you can easily reach both Aosta and the valleys of the Gran Paradiso National Park.
WHAT TO SEE
● The castle of Saint-Pierre, with its 4 side turrets, makes it almost disneyan and it is one of the oldest manors in Aosta Valley.
● The parish church of the saints Peter and Paul rests on a rocky step, just below the castle.
● The Sarriod de La Tour castle, situated in an apple orchard, preserves a precious wooden ceiling dating back to the end of 1400, decorated with anthropomorphic figures, monsters, insects and animals in the wonderful “hall of heads”.
● The Cofruits is an apple-gathering and storage centre, to which local growers give their harvests and where you can find typical Aosta Valley products.
NATURE AND SPORT
In the quiet and panoramic hamlet of Vetan (1700 m), at the foot of Mont Fallère, you can experience the thrill of paragliding or, in winter, the intense emotions of snowkiting. Numerous routes starting from this point can be followed on foot, mountain bike or horseback in summer and, during the winter, on snowshoes or touring skis. For climbers, not far from the castle and the priory, there are rock climbing walls suitable for beginners and experts. The sports area includes a football pitch, synthetic 5-a-side football pitch and tennis courts.
EVENTS AND TRADITIONS
Brindisi sotto le stelle – Brindisi star light evening is a food and wine event that takes place in the Sarriod de la Tour castle during the night of San Lorenzo. During the evening you can taste gastronomic products and wines of the area, accompanied by music and other entertainment.
FOR THE LITTLE ONES
In addition to the playgrounds situated in the hamlets of the village, during the winter in Vetan there is a snow groomed area for fun bobsleigh, toboggan and inflatable boat rides.
● Inhabitants: 3200
● Altitude: 731 m
● How to get there by public transport: Saint-Pierre can be reached from Aosta by bus with the line 29 “Saint-Pierre-Villefranche” or by the bus line “Aosta-Courmayeur”. Timetables are available on the website of the SVAP company and the Arriva company.
Note - this information is not directly connected to the Cammino Balteo path but it is part of the Aosta Valley tourist offer.