San Martino (the Bishop) and his adversary Satan, then the Roman Consul, the Tribunes of the People, the Roman Guards and their Officer and, lastly, the Lily Nymph accompanied by her two Maids are the leading characters in the historical carnival in Pont-Saint-Martin. A key feature of the carnival is the chariot race: each district or “insula” in the town has its own chariot and team consisting of a charioteer and a number of athletic youngsters, whose job it is to pull the chariot. Tuesday is a day when the carnival parade is held with floats from Point-Saint-Martin, some nearby villages and towns in Piedmont and Val d’Aosta.
Wednesday 1st June 2022
- 7.30 p.m. – Food-and-wine evening prepared by the “Insulae” (local neighbourhood groups) and served throughout the night along Via Chanoux, accompanied by music and masked characters.
In case of bad weather, the event will take place at the Espace de la Rencontre, in the public gardens.
- 9.30 p.m. -Exhibition of the Banners of the Insulae (neighbourhoods), hung over the balconies of the Town Hall, with the participation of a delegation from each neighbourhood, the Salassi del Lys, the Pont-Saint-Martin Band, the Pipes and Drums from Andrate and representatives of the Congregation of the Devil and Saint Martin, the Consortia of the Nymphs, the Handmaids, the Collegium Consolum and the Senators of the Carnival.
Thursday 2nd June 2022
- 9 p.m. – Official presentation of the Historical Characters of the 112th Historical Carnival in IV Novembre Square.
- 10 p.m. – Torchlight Parade along the Via Romana with the Historical Characters and the participation of the Insulae, the Salassi del Lys, the Pont-Saint-Martin Band, the Pipes and Drums from Andrate.
- 10.30 p.m. – Dancing night at the Maison du Boulodrome with the orchestra “I Ragazzi del Villaggio” (free entrance)
Friday 3rd June 2022
- 2.00 p.m. – On IV Novembre Square Mini Historical Carnival of the “Prati Nuovi” Regional Kindergarten. Presentation of all the protagonists: the devil, Saint Martin, the consul, the nymph, the handmaids, the tribunes, the Romans, the Roman guards, the Salassi, the band of toulé played by children of the “Prati Nuovi” Regional Kindergarten accompanied by the characters of the historical Carnival 2022.
- Parade of the characters in via Roma and on the millennial Roman bridge. The parade will be followed by the masked groups of the Primary School and Kindergarten. Afterward, Mini Burning of the Devil on IV Novembre Square.
With the participation of the Pont-Saint-Martin Band and the Pipes and Drums from Arnad.
- 9.30 p.m. – Fantastic masked ball at the Maison du Boulodrome with the orchestra “I Summer”, entrance 10.00 euros (during the evening spaghetti included in the price – drinks excluded)
Sarturday 4th June 2022
- 10 a.m. Parade featuring the Historical Characters and their Followers, with the participation of the Pont-Saint-Martin Band
- 10.30 a.m. Reception for the Historical Characters and their Followers at the Town Hall.
- 3.00 p.m. Opening of the Proloco food and wine stand in Piazza IV Novembre;
- 4.00 p.m. Parade of the Insulae from 1° Maggio Square to IV Novembre Square, featuring the Historical Carnival Characters and their Followers and the Pont-Saint-Martin Band.
- 4.00 p.m. – The Children’s Carnival at the Maison du Boulodrome, with the participation of the Historical Characters and the DJ Alex Mensa. Free Entrance (dance closing at 6.30 pm)
- 5 p.m. – Chariot Race and Young Roman Relay Race (The relay race is reserved for boys and girls aged 15 and under).
At the end of the races, Prize-giving ceremony
*8.30 : Great Dinner with Ox on the Spit at the Maison du Bouledrome, € 20.00 (drinks excluded, compulsory reservation at the INFOPOINT in via Chanoux 71)
Afterward, Dancing night at the Maison du Boulodrome with the Orchestra “Gruppo Kiss” (free entrance)
Sunday 5th June 2022
- 9.30 a.m. – Grand Gala parade of the Insulae from 1° Maggio Square to IV Novembre Square, featuring the Historical Carnival Characters and their Followers and the Pont-Saint-Martin Band.
- 10.00 a.m. – Show-Parade through the streets of the centre of Folk Groups: “The Tropical Dream Show” from San Benigno Canavese (TO); Band San Antonino from Saluggia (VC); , the Pipes and Drums from Andrate (TO); La Lira Musikkapelle from Issime (AO); , the Pipes and Drums from Lessolo (TO); Lessolo Carnival with its characters.
- 3 p.m. – (departure from the Maison du Boulodrome Square with arrival in Piazza IV Novembre)
Splendid parade of Folks and Masked Groups with the Historical Characters, their Followers and the Pont-Saint-Martin Band. With the folk groups: “The Tropical Dream Show” from San Benigno Canavese (TO); Band San Antonino from Saluggia (VC); , the Pipes and Drums from Andrate (TO); La Lira Musikkapelle from Issime (AO); , the Pipes and Drums from Lessolo (TO); Lessolo Carnival with its characters.
7.30 p.m.: “Rainbow Symphony” an enchanting, extraordinary, matchless music and daytime firework show*, in the setting of the magnificent Roman Bridge.
*8 p.m.: Carnival in the Square with the orchestra I Summer (in case of bad weather the event will be held at the Maison du Boulodrome)
Throughout the day in Piazza IV Novembre will be active the food and wine stand of the Proloco
Note - this information is not directly connected to the Cammino Balteo path but it is part of the Aosta Valley tourist offer.